CPPIB invests in Indonesian toll road, Caisse in job website, OMERS in restaurant technology
BY Benefits Canada Staff | September 20, 2019
The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board is making its first infrastructure investment in Indonesia, with the acquisition of a 45 per cent interest in PT Lintas Marga Sedaya, the concession holder and operator of the Cipali toll road, a critical link in the transportation network of the island of Java.
PT Baskhara Utama Sedaya, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PT Astra Tol Nusantara, currently owns a 45 per cent stake and will increase that to 55 per cent, while the CPPIB will acquire the remaining 45 per cent stake.
“We are pleased to invest in the Cipali toll road alongside Astra Infra, a knowledgeable and sophisticated local partner, and look forward to a successful long-term relationship between our two organizations,” said Scott Lawrence, managing director and head of infrastructure at the CPPIB, in a press release. “Cipali toll road provides CPPIB access to a vital infrastructure development supported by rising motorization rates in one of the most densely populated and economically productive regions in Indonesia.”
In other investment news, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec is making a $53 million investment in Neuvoo.ca, a Canadian employment website.
The cash injection is intended to enable the company to further expand and optimize its artificial intelligence-based platform.
“Through this transaction, CDPQ supports a new economy company which is growing at a rapid pace and has distinguished itself and become an international leader thanks to the successful integration of artificial intelligence,” said Charles Émond, executive vice-president and head of Quebec investments and global strategic planning at the Caisse, in a press release. “At Neuvoo, they have designed a unique technology that is positioning their company as a strong competitor in the online job recruiting market.”
Still further, the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System’s growth equity group led a $158 million round of financing for TouchBistro, a restaurant technology solution provider. The OMERS is investing $85 million, alongside Barclays, RBC Ventures and BMO Capital Partners. The pension fund’s venture capital arm had previously invested in the company.
“This is a fabulous opportunity to partner with TouchBistro as it continues supporting its restaurant partners with innovative and market-leading software products,” said Mark Shulgan, managing director and head of growth equity at the OMERS, in a press release. “The restaurant industry is a large market and can realize significant improvements in efficiency and profitability by adopting technology like TouchBistro’s,” he added.
This article originally appeared on CIR’s companion site, Benefitscanada.com. Read the full story here.